Monday, March 14, 2016

The joys of a minimalist closet

Part 1


It was probably about 10 years ago that I picked up a magazine one evening, and instead of flipping through it, my eyes were held… well mesmerized, by what I saw on the back cover. It was an ad for a company that organized closets. A picture of a closet showing racks holding a few skirts, a few pairs of slacks and a few tops, along with some shelves holding a few knit shirts and sweaters continued to hold my longing gaze. 

Every article of clothing was clearly visible, so I counted them. Hanging from the racks were 12 skirts, 12 pairs of slacks, 12 tops and 6 jackets. On the shelves were 12 knit shirts and 6 sweaters.  With empty spaces on the racks and shelves, these numbers were surprising. I would have guessed about half that number. The closet looked mostly bare, and I loved it.

As I thought about these numbers, I realized this closet provided work clothes for two weeks, without wearing the same outfit more than twice in a month. Wow! Not only did I see order in this closet, but I also saw freedom. This closet contained a well planned wardrobe. Not hunting for missing pieces or stressing over endless choices. Even the cleaning and care of this wardrobe looked easily manageable.

Trying to achieve this for myself at that time was very difficult. But I had a plan. Instead of trimming down my closet, I would just remove all but two weeks of wardrobe and store the rest. About once a month I would trade some items from the closet for those in the boxes.

So that’s what I did. I liked the results so well, that for several days I kept my closet doors open so I could see all the neatness and order. This worked for a few months.

But then, the seasons changed and I kept transeasonal pieces, while adding other seasonal and new clothing. It wasn’t long until my closet had returned to a packed and messy site.

I still longed for a slightly bare closet, filled only with what I needed and loved. But the problem was that I just couldn’t part with anything in it.

~To be continued~

No comments:

Post a Comment