Thursday, October 11, 2018

About my sugar fasts...

When I started my weight-loss journey six years ago this month, I intentionally eliminated treats and foods with added sugar for the first eight weeks. I'm so glad I did that. Not only did it free up calories for nutrient-dense foods, but it gave me a benchmark to look back on.

Now when I start a 30-day or 15-day sugar fast, I can always look back and say to myself, "Hey, you have gone eight weeks without treats. You can do this for 30 days or 15 days."

At the beginning of this year, I set goals to do five sugar fasts this year: two 30-day fasts and three 15-day fasts. So far, I have done four of them, leaving only a 15-day fast to complete my goals. For this post, I'm not going into all the health benefits of leaving off sugar for a period of time. I think most of those benefits are well known. But I think the benefits extend beyond even the health aspects.

Each time I complete a fast, I do have a feeling of accomplishment. It may be a small accomplishment, but I still reached a goal. And a little discipline can also extend to other areas. Little goals combined with discipline result in a consistent effort that produces lasting achievements.

As for the benefits I've received from these sugar fasts...well it's my hope and intention they have provided a means to detox some of the environmental stuff.  And for someone like me, who does have a "sweet tooth," it helps to know I can go without my favorite treats for a period of time.  

As a result of these sugar fasts, I am adding a new page with a few recipes for treats made without added sugar.

~B~


No comments:

Post a Comment