Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Reviewing my sugar fasts and intermittent fasting

As I sat down to summarize my five sugar fasts during 2018, it seemed as though it's been months, rather than six weeks since I finished the last sugar fast. Maybe it's because I've done a lot of baking during the holidays and consumed more sweets than usual, but I'm looking forward to my next sugar fast which is scheduled in a little more than a week. My first sugar fast for this year will be for 30 days.

When I started my first 30-day sugar fast in January 2018, I decided to add several days of intermittent fasting, using the 16/8 eating pattern, which means fasting for 16 hours and eating all meals within an eight-hour period. After reading about the health benefits of intermittent fasting, I decided to try it with sugar fasting.

In addition to the two fasts, I also reduced my daily calorie allowance by 500 calories per day to allow for a one-pound weigh-loss per week. By removing all added sugar from my diet, the daily reduction of 500 calories was more or less a wash, since most desserts and sugar treats amount to as many calories. My scales were showing a weight gain of 3-5 pounds from the Christmas holidays, and I wanted to take those extra pounds off during the fasts.

During the first week of my first 30-day fast, I did the intermittent fasting for five days. The second week, I added three days of intermittent fasting to the sugar fast and continued that pattern for the duration of the sugar fast. I had read that in addition to the health benefits of intermittent fasting, there was also the benefit of a modest weight-loss. At the end of the 30-days, I had lost six pounds. I wasn't sure if the intermittent fasting had contributed to the weight-loss, because I usually lose a few pounds during a sugar fast.


As for the intermittent fasting method I incorporated with my sugar fast, I was very pleased with it. Since I could still have black coffee until the eight-hour eating period began, that helped banish any  "no breakfast" deprivation. For many years, black coffee had been my breakfast. The schedule that worked best for me for intermittent fasting was eating between the hours of 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. The fasting began at 7 p.m. and continued until 11 a.m. the next morning. One of the first benefits I noticed was all bloating disappeared. I also liked the fact that I had to take in all my daily calories before 7 p.m. The coffee kept me going until 11 a.m., and for the rest of the day I was eating. Most days I was scrambling to get in my calories before 7 p.m. Consequently, I did not go to bed hungry. At the end of the sugar fast, I continued to do intermittent fasting once or twice a week. I also cut out eating after 8 p.m., so that I still had at least a 12-hour and sometimes 13-hour break between supper and breakfast.

In mid-April, I began my second sugar fast and this one was for 15 days. For this fast, I added the intermittent fasting for the entire 15 days. I did not adjust my calorie allowance for this fast, as I was still maintaining the weight-loss from the first sugar fast. At the end of this fast, I had dropped another pound. After completing this fast, I continued with the 16/8 intermittent fasting once or twice a week and at least 12 hours between the last evening meal and breakfast.

My third sugar fast, which I started in mid-June, also continued for 15 days and included intermittent fasting for 14 days. Again, I did not adjust or decrease my calories for these fasts, but I had picked up a couple of pounds from birthday and other celebrations in May. At the end of this fasting period, I had lost the extra two pounds, without any reduction of calories. I do need to mention here that my daily and weekly exercise routine usually includes four days of walking four miles per day.

When I began my fourth sugar fast in mid-August, I had maintained the two pound weigh-loss from the previous fast. This fourth fast was for 30 days. For the first five days, I included intermittent fasting and sporadically for the remainder of the sugar fast. I did not adjust or reduce my calorie allowance for this fourth sugar fast. At the end of this fast, I had lost another pound.

Immediately following the fourth fast, I attended a special event with catered food, and of course was unable to accurately log it. A few days later, I went on vacation and enjoyed eating out several times. Upon my return from vacation, I celebrated my birthday with a favorite meal at my favorite restaurant. Within two weeks, I had gained two pounds.

When I started my fifth and last sugar fast of the year on Nov. 6, I was still carrying the two extra pounds but still a pound under my maintenance weight from my weight-loss journey that had started in October 2012. Unusual circumstances accompanied this final fast of the year. I had just started a new job, and I also had a medical procedure scheduled during the time of the fast. These circumstances prevented me from including the intermittent fasting with the sugar fast. My walking routine was also preempted during this fast. Since I did not adjust or reduce my calorie allowance, I also did not lose the extra two pounds during this sugar fast.

In conclusion, I believe the intermittent fasting worked with the sugar fasting in taking off a few pounds without the need of reducing my calorie allowance. I look forward to including intermittent fasting with the five sugar fasts I have planned for 2019.


~~~B~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment